Posts tagged supplement
By Hunter Lewis
A Treatment for Anxiety That Works…
Is blocked by our crony capitalist medical system.
In the article below, the Alliance for Natural Health-USA tells the story of Scott Stossel, editor of the Atlantic, who recently published a book about his lifetime problem with severe anxiety, including crippling panic attacks. It is a tribute to Mr. Stossel that he has been able to write and edit an important magazine. One can only guess what it costs him to go on radio or tv to promote his book.
The book discusses what is known about anxiety and also Mr. Stossel’s experience both with talk therapy and with, it seems, dozens of drugs, many of them with frightening side effects. Which of these have worked? As Mr. Stossel says, none of them have worked.
There are references to GABA, the neuro-chemical that our own bodies make to regulate our anxiety level. Some of the drugs try to keep more GABA in the body. But after decades of suffering and endless consultations with conventional doctors, nobody seems to have told Mr. Stossel that GABA is available as a supplement. It’s true that at one time it was a supplement that did not work very well, because it had trouble getting through stomach acid. But there are now more bio-available forms that work extremely well.
Why would no conventional doctor tell Mr Stossel about GABA as a supplement? Well, it isn’t approved by the FDA or promoted by a drug company. Why not? Because as a natural substance, it can’t be patented, and what drug company will spend what is an average cost of $1 billion to take a substance through the FDA if it isn’t patented?
Couldn’t supplement companies at least tell people about GABA? No, that is illegal. Company executives can go to jail for violating FDA rules against promoting anything other than an FDA approved drug for treatment of a medical problem.
This is a sweet deal for drug companies. The government grants them a monopoly on their not-found-in-nature drugs, which are patentable. Then, by taking them through the FDA, even at vast expense, they shut out any competition from natural products, even if those natural products are safer and more effective, as well as much cheaper.
This is one reason why medicine costs so much. More importantly, it is why even smart and well informed people like Scott Stossel never hear about supplements or functional foods that could heal them.
Image credit: http://www.againstcronycapitalism.org
About Hunter Lewis
Hunter Lewis is co-founder of AgainstCronyCapitalism.org. He is co-founder and former CEO of global investment firm Cambridge Associates, LLC and author of 8 books on moral philosophy, psychology, and economics, including the widely acclaimed Are the Rich Necessary? (“Highly provocative and highly pleasurable.”—New York Times) He has contributed to the New York Times, the Times of London, the Washington Post, and the Atlantic Monthly, as well as numerous websites such as Breitbart.com, Forbes.com, Fox.com, and RealClearMarkets.com. His most recent books are Crony Capitalism in America: 2008–2012, Free Prices Now! Fixing the Economy by Abolishing the Fed, and Where Keynes Went Wrong: And Why Governments Keep Creating Inflation, Bubbles, and Busts. He has served on boards and committees of fifteen leading not-for-profit organizations, including environmental, teaching, research, and cultural and global development organizations, as well as the World Bank.
By Sara Burrows
State agent inspects sack lunches, preschoolers purchase cafeteria food instead
See editor’s note at end of story.
RAEFORD — A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because the school told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.
The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the person who was inspecting all lunch boxes in the More at Four classroom that day.
The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs — including in-home day care centers — to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.
When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones.
The girl’s mother — who said she wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter from retaliation — said she received a note from the school stating that students who did not bring a “healthy lunch” would be offered the missing portions, which could result in a fee from the cafeteria, in her case $1.25.
“I don’t feel that I should pay for a cafeteria lunch when I provide lunch for her from home,” the mother wrote in a complaint to her state representative, Republican G.L. Pridgen of Robeson County.
The girl’s grandmother, who sometimes helps pack her lunch, told Carolina Journal that she is a petite, picky 4-year-old who eats white whole wheat bread and is not big on vegetables.
“What got me so mad is, number one, don’t tell my kid I’m not packing her lunch box properly,” the girl’s mother told CJ. “I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats. It always consists of a fruit. It never consists of a vegetable. She eats vegetables at home because I have to watch her because she doesn’t really care for vegetables.”
When the girl came home with her lunch untouched, her mother wanted to know what she ate instead. Three chicken nuggets, the girl answered. Everything else on her cafeteria tray went to waste.
Here are some really interesting Dr. Ron Paul facts about his life and career…
Facts about Dr. Ron Pauls Personal Life…
- He was the 220 yard dash state champion at Dormont High School.
- He received a B.S. degree in biology from Gettysburg College in 1957.
- He earned a Doctor Of Medicine degree from Duke University of Medicine in 1961.
- He was a Captain in the U.S. Air Force and served as a flight surgeon from 1963 to 1965 in Viet Nam and then served in the U.S. National Guard from 1965 to 1968.
- He started his own practice as an OBGYN in 1968 and delivered over 4000 babies in his career as a doctor.
- Instead of accepting Medicaid or Medicare payments for his poor patients, Dr. Paul lowered his fees or offered his services for free.
- He has been married to the same woman for 54 years.
- He has 5 children, 18 grandchildren, and 4 great-grandchildren.
- At 76, and schedule permitting, Ron Paul starts each day with a 3 to 4 mile walk and finishes with a 10 to 15 mile bike ride.
- Ron Paul is the only Congressman to have ever hit a home run in Congressional Baseball Games…and it was an out of the park home run!
- He became politically active the day Richard Nixon took the USD off the Gold Standard.
- He has NEVER voted to raise taxes.
- He has NEVER voted for an unbalanced budget.
- He has NEVER voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
- He has NEVER voted to raise congressional pay.
- He has NEVER taken a government-paid junket.
- He has NEVER voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
- He voted AGAINST the Patriot Act.
- He voted AGAINST regulating the Internet.
- He voted AGAINST the Iraq war.
- He has NEVER voted for any legislation that would limit your freedom to eat the food you choose or take whatever vitamin supplement you choose.
- He DOES NOT participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
- He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. Treasury every year.
Now more than every we need the Champion of the Constitution!
Please visit Ron Paul’s official campaign site by following the link below and donate today!